PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2011, 19:35
Watson1963

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This thread is superb!

Superb John – those pics are just great

They sum up the day-in, day-out, of operating in such close proximity to just about everything that could bite your bum!

Were those low-slung Simplex tanks for B47s only? I never saw them on a Hiller, but Simplex came out with a later, cleaner-looking version http://www.simplexmfg.com/brochures/SimplexManufacturingSpray4500-4600(2009)Brochure.pdf

Dennis you are right – that list is definitely not complete … Farmers Weekly used to have an annual list of operators, would be good to track down a copy. Dennis I remember writing to your good self asking about your ops and you replied with a very detailed letter. Thanks

Also a lot of info from Agricopters, John Crewdson even sent a copy of his aerial application manual. Very kind. Wish I had kept it rather than having a “clear out”

Chemicals. Always seemed to have such nothing, made-up sounding names. I remember Maneb. I also recall volunteering to flag a field when the guys had gone ahead to the next field and Martin had to spray a small, odd-shaped field, studded with hillocks and wires. I got drenched, but luckily it was “just” Fubol, a fungicide against mildew on barley. Looking back it was “nothing” compared to those Lama vids Sav posted

BTW I was looking at the current Aerial Application Certificate CAP 414, and see the first issue was June 1978. Bet it was a lot shorter than the current one.

Cheers gents.