PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority: Good or Bad?
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2011, 13:18
G.S. Willy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What seems fair to me, will seem blatantly unjust and unfair to you. Truth lies in the eyes of the beholder.

I know of no pilot union, in any company wanting to get rid of the seniority lists, actually they insist on it as it regulates upgrades, preventing DEC( ask any SFO with 10-15 years in the right seat how he/she would feel about this)

I agree with some of the arguments against seniority lists, but they do contribute to peace and calm among the pilots in a company, giving them a chance to stand together against a management using divide and conquer tactics.
I will argue that you will find the most satisfied pilots in companys with a union and a seniority list, as predictability is important to many of us.

We do have a choice, if a quick command is important to you, choose contracting, and chase the best opportunity the market has to offer at any given time, if predictability, pension, and other benefits are more important, choose a company with a union and a seniority list. Simple ;-)

Last edited by G.S. Willy; 30th Oct 2011 at 13:38.