PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas grounding?
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2011, 11:49
ozzy_bruce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, I have been reading the 2010 Qantas Annual Report. Some interesting figures...Qantas + Qantas link Fleet = 191 Aircraft, Jetstar Fleet = 59 Aircraft. Profits Before Tax (PBT) by group in $Million for 2010

Qantas ---------------------------------->67
Jetstar --------------------------------->131
Qantas Frequent Flyer ------------------>328
Qantas Freight -------------------------->42
Jetset Travelworld ----------------------->14
Corporate/Eliminations ------------------->(114)
Underlying EBIT ------------------------->468
Net fi nance costs ---------------------->(91)
Underlying PBT -------------------------->377

So, 191 Qantas aircraft make $67 Million profit, 59 Jetstar aircraft make $131M. Im not taking sides, but if I was a shareholder, its a pretty easy to agree to the argument that the CEO would make for a strike..even if it did interupt my sat arvo footie!

If I was only interested on the return on my investment, for sure I would paint a big orange star on the 191 Qantas fleet and make the $2.2million per aircraft per year than Jetstar makes (an extra $357 million profit anyone?)

Also, how does Qantas Frequent Flyer make $328 M profit?!

Also part 2, net cash on hand was c. $3.7 Billion - or 185 weeks of strike at $20 million a week. Put that way, plenty of cash to keep grounded for a few weeks (ignoring loss of goodwil etc...)

Oh yeah, I agree with a previous poster, I fly them all the time for business, but never when I am flying for leisure and paying myself - my last return SYD-PER on qnatas was over $1000 for economy....! Nice new A330 though...