PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2002, 09:01
John Purdey

CHINOOK

Hoverstop, many thanks. I 'm off again shortly, meanwhile at great risk of more repetition, I think we should all consider these facts. 1. As it approached waypoint change, a/c was under control (no-one has challenged this) 2. It was at low level (Yachtsman) 3. Speed was around 150 kts ( Aldergrove radar fix and time of impact data) 4. Weather at Mull was IMC (lighthouse keeper said 15-20 yds, ten local witnesses said weather generally foggy and very bad) 5. A/c was more than 500 yds right of intended track (positions of lighthouse and impact point) . 6. Ht of lighthouse about 320 ft. 7. Ht of terrain at impact 810 ft. 8. Thus, in v poor vis the crew were suddenly confronted by terrain more than 500 ft higher than anticipated. 9. They raised the nose 30 deg and started turn port (AIB), but far too late.
I will warmly welcome a challenge to any of these facts. Failing that, if the fact are accepted, can anyone offer an explanation for the tragedy other than that the crew pressed on when they should have turned away/climbed, ie and very sadly, they were negligent.

Sorry to say. John