PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEAGLE HUSKY - XW635 - Ex-5 AEF -Where is she now
Old 30th Oct 2011, 08:49
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
"First time I mentioned here on PPRuNe I'd flown the type and in passing that it was a side by side two seater, I got berated by SNS3Guppy; and Nutloose! Even after showing a photo of the aircraft, they were convinced it had tandem seating."

Er....it's a three seater. Two up front, one behind. I used to fly G-AWSW at Cranwell when it was loaned to the flying club there and I definately remember getting both my father and brother in law in it. They were probably thinking of the American Aviat A-1 Husky which looks very similar and is a tandem two seater.

The Beagle Husky is quite a good aeroplane - it's a effectively a Lycoming powered Auster. The 180HP gives it a good take off performance, but then it was power against drag and not worth thinking about cruising above 90knts. And the split flaps make it a real dragmaster and good for short strip landings.

I've also flown the Aviat Husky (which is a bit like a Cub on steroids) and the two are very similar. The yank machine has a 180hp Lycoming as well, but with a CS prop. It's got truly enormous flaps and even better short field performance than the Beagle Husky. But the British aircraft is nicer to handle.

Both would make an excellent glider tugs!

Last edited by Dan Winterland; 30th Oct 2011 at 09:08. Reason: add photo