PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who here is a foreigner working as a pilot in the USA?
Old 29th Oct 2011, 22:55
NEDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you are totally obsessed with living in the United States, I would recommend against a flying job here. We pilots truly do have the worst pay and working conditions in the civilized world. First year pilots at most entry level airline jobs qualify for welfare, and at some carriers you will qualify for several years.

Unlike most civilized countries there is no law for companies to require paid vacation time. Most airlines will offer it, but it will takes years to get beyond two weeks of vacation annually. Many people in other industries in the U.S. are lucky to get one week of paid vacation annually.

Health care? Well the Obama health plan is designed to get more people health care coverage, but there is a lot of opposition to it and much of it will either be struck down by the courts, or legislated out of existence over the next few years. In other words there is no guarantee you will get health care coverage, and it will take up an ever increasing part of your paycheck if you do get it. Costs for health insurance are skyrocketing and employers are passing the costs on to employees. I have a pretty good deal, but I am paying out over $400 USD every month just for health care coverage for my family.

In short, if you want very long hours, little to no vacation, poor pay, and expensive health care, the United States is the place to be.

I am married to an EU citizen and we are out of the U.S.A. by next summer.

Best of luck to you.