PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airspeeds. Which ones do we care about?
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2011, 20:24
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z.khalid
Secondly, I believe when flying commercial, the aircraft speeds are already calculated AFTER wind` corrections, so that's why speeds like Vmcg, V1, etc are all indicated airspeed, is this true?
All speeds which are for use by the crew are indeed indicated speeds, but it's nothing to do with pre- or post-wind correction.

The only speed a crew has is the one on the instruments - the indicated speed. (Even if you've got fancy air data computers, the speed is still the "indicated" speed, by definition).

So if I want a crew to fly using a speed reference, then I MUST provide that speed consistent with the displayed speed - so V1, V2, Vref etc must all be provided in IAS terms.

They are all airspeeds, so are measured relative to the air mass. The only time you worry about wind correction is either to get ground speed data for navigation purposes (because you navigate relative to the ground, but the aicraft flies relative to the air) or for certain specific cases where the procedures have you adjust a speed due to high winds etc. Those cases are not "correction for wind" - they are adjustments due to wind.