Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2011, 13:58
captain_salman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RAF Sharjah!

Hello and good day to all !

Dear sirs,
I am an aviation enthusiast (a virtual pilot with 2000+ IFR hours at Virtual PIA) and an Anglophile, this world explains the reason I am here at RAF related thread. I joined just recently after a search on the internet about old RAF Sharjah station, but unfortunately there is very limited information and photographs available. I am stunned and at the same time delighted to know that there actual ex-RAF pilots her who served Sharjah!

You all will happy to know that live in building which is situated just in front of the old hangar. I have been living in this area called (Al Mahatta - meaning A Station in Arabic) for 5 years now, I've grown up in Sharjah and I'm now 27 years old. I am fascinated by the historical significance of this area, and I have done a detailed survey of the entire RAF vicinity, I have been searching for clue and remains of old RAF buildings and quarters in this area. My attention is to compare the "now & then" images and would go back and smell the time! The time when Sharjah ruled the skies of the Gulf....

I will be posting some pictures after this post of this area now, my recent attempt was to visit the place just behind the old hangar, I could see the remains of a room with a pin-board still on the wall! And I could see the pin hole in it indicating that at one point in time the used to be a map on that board with clipboards and marks with aerial view of Sharjah I could literally imagine that as a quick flashback! Another was a very old WC just beside, some demolished walls and the wooden roof remains still there and one of the rooms had burned down severely I could say this because of the burned wooden roof frames!

I will post detailed pictures of the ruin quarters of RAF and the current condition of the old hangar which is situated outside the Museum premises where one of you might have even stayed you never know!! What's more interesting is that I have tried to dig a few inches just beside the old hangar's gate (the same hangar where squadron group picture is taken with two helicopters on each side earlier in this thread!) and after digging I have found traces of engine oil in the sand, couple of very old bolts, and interestingly a British Petroleum labelled tap made of black plastic probably from some old can which contained plane's engine oil! Noticing the design of BP on it I found out that it was very old, round about from the 50s to 60s perhaps!

The area is surrounded by residential buildings and many plots are empty and still one could see the old tarmac taxiways and aircraft parking spots all over Al Mahatta area (I will post the pictures of the these tarmac remains) with the "General Electric - GE" light pole remains on the ground with a label "Made in England" !!

I solute to all ex-RAF officers and pilot, and as a token of appreciation to your services in the British empire I would love to accompany you with a detailed guided tour of my area today refreshing all your past memories as I am fully aware of Al Mahatta area as of 2011! That is when ever anyone of your respected personalities visit Sharjah, please contact me By this even I will gain knowledge about the geographical changes from the mid 19th century to present and I will love hear your RAF Sharjah stories

here is my email: [email protected]

May I profoundly request to your good selves that if you have any other RAF SHJ airport pictures from the time please post it I am really desperate to see how this area looked like during its heyday !!

The main aircraft parking area is now converted to a small park called as Mahatta Park just beside the RAF Fort where my building is located! I will update you all with the pictures, please share your stories of RAF Sharjah with me,

with best regards!
SALMAN
(from Sharjah - UAE)