PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas grounded effective immediately.
Old 29th Oct 2011, 09:51
Snail Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been in the industry for 25 years.

I'm not a pilot.

I have been flying QF loyally for over a decade.

I have very good friends and family in the airline and feel very sad for them. My late father gave his best years to the airline.

I have visited this site from time to time for over a decade, but generally, it's all the same whingers bitching about the same old stuff, so I don't post much. However:

It wouldn't matter whether it was Joyce, Borghetti, Branson, Dixon or John Travolta, the dinosaurs in Australian Aviation would blame everyone BUT themselves for this outcome. People on here will whinge about him eternally, but history will show that Joyce had the balls to kick the unions in the teeth and make the required changes to maintain a healthy bottom line and grow the business, which is precisely his job (nothing else).

Most people here will bitch and moan about the poor management, bringing down an icon, not having a clue, etc, but it's easy to slag off all and sundry sitting behind a laptop, and I doubt any of the 'experts' that visit here would put their hand up for the top job; and I certainly don't claim to be worthy either. I neither like or dislike Joyce, but I do admire his resilience and tenacity and he is a business man after all. And everyone seems to forget that we (Aussies) are not immune to global forces. Fail to adapt and you lose.

The union fools wanted to play with fire; well, pony up fellas, it's time to get into the kitchen. Apart from friends and relatives of mine at QF, the people I feel most sorry for are the younger guys and gals who just want to work for the airline and couldn't give a toss about the poltics, and would be happy to forgo some of the ridiculous, greedy union demands.

Borghetti must be laughing and will certainly be ready for the fallout.

I hope all the 'untouchables' in the unions have got alternative skills and beefy resumes - they might come in handy. For those that were so arrogant they thought they'd never need them; whoops!

I sincerely hope it works itself out, but whatever happens, the goal posts have shifted forever. And if the worst happens; a heads up; there is no such thing as job security; welcome to the 21st century.

Now, slag this post off til your hearts are content; no need for me to come back and respond to the garbage that will follow.

Nighty night.

SD