PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigating over a gliding site
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2011, 08:42
GeeWhizz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly through, around, the wire with the little parachute on is best avoided, any gliding site that would actively restrict activity needs bombing.
Glider -v- Spamcan? Glider pilots wear parachutes.
These gave me a well needed chuckle first thing on a miserable Saturday morning

Having read the paragraph on how close gliders may fly to each other in the AIC reminded me of a recent trip in the clubs 172...

It was a Saturday afternoon and the weather was geared toward gliding. On passing Milton Keynes at 2400ft the FISO gave us the warning that there was vast quanitites of gliding activity all over the place. Wide eyed we continued along our route.

Not more than 5 minutes later we saw 4 gliders on the nose thermalling from approx 1000ft below to 1000ft above some 8 miles ahead. Noise abatement (along with something to do with rights of way and rules of the air) suggested that we alter our course. Out to the right was free from traffic. Upon looking left and slightly rearward I found 2 of the damn things tagging along in a loose line-astern formation; both pilots greeting my discovery with a friendly wave! A brief wing-rock in return, then a turn to the right was made in good time before tangoing with a thermal stack.

Oh to reminisce