PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2011, 04:39
yep_ok_whatever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the people slating the CX scheme could chime in here that would be great.

What I would really be interested in hearing from you, other than, the vast majority of us are ill-informed and delusional is what other legitimate long term career options are available to those with little cash to their names?

I understand that working an 80 hour week so you can afford three hours of flying a month is admirable, but to me, I feel this is working hard rather than working smart.

I also understand the negatives of the scheme but still feel that overall it is a good deal. It expediates training, provides the security of employment for three plus years (allbeit not increasing salary) and all the sandwiches I could dream for.

Being completely realistic here, I do feel that those who say SO's will be living in abject poverty are overexaggerating. I used to live in Hong Kong working as a junior architect. I was on 16,000 per month. Pretty good money compared to others who had just finished a degree and were starting their career in HK.

I shared an apartment and enjoyed my time out in expat restaurants and bars as well as local haunts. I admit I didn't save anything, but I managed fine. What everyone has to realise is that the offer is very much dependant on the individual. I would not have even considered anything of the sort if I had three children, a sick mother and two disabled pets.

Please keep in mind that although the offer is substandard to you and what was given to you in the past, it no longer is relevant. You are working with a different contract that is not on offer to us. The good ol' days will not be back. And they won't be back, not because we accept lower salaries and T's and C's but because it is the nature of the beast.

You used to bang your head against a brickwall when your parents told you they had to walk a hundred miles in the freezing snow to buy a potato for dinner. We now do the same when you talk about your contracts and how glorious those days were and how we are destroying the company by accepting these T's and C's. You tell us not to accept them and work somewhere else. If you don't want us to accept these T's and C's because it devalues you and your position, it may be time for you to move on rather than asking us not to join. We don't have a problem with you, it appears, you have a problem with us.

This is my opinion and I also (whether you agree or not is fine) believe that there is some jealousy associated with how relatively easy the icadets have it compared to what some of the GA guys have done. Which I think is completely acceptable. I'd be peeved off to in some respects.

Now, feel free to cut me to shreds...