PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2011, 04:39
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly_boy, I disagree.

You'll find from the vast majority of defenders of the iCadet package come from those who see GA or a regional airline as "too hard" for any number of reasons. Or, they feel a massive sense of entitlement to not ever need to gain experience or qualifications: and this is precisely what CX have set up. As such CX can pay the disgraceful insult that they offer. Pilots with the qualifications that used to be required treat it as they should....a slap in the face of standards and all they worked for. There will always be one or two exceptions who have their own reasons....

You have an option because you made that situation available to yourself. Others do not want for, try for or care for anything other than satisfying their own Shiny Jet Syndrome at any cost to their integrity, long term future or the profession they insult. Most see no other option because they refuse to look: "too hard".

I have swapped numerous PM's with guys who agree and disagree with my point of view. Unlike some, they had the intelligence to argue from an informed point of view, or genuinely wanted to know why guys like me disagree with it so much.

Hours built away from the iron curtain of CX are golden. You will own your hours and therefore destiny.

1) The P2X rating is not recognised outside of the CX/CAD umbrella, therefore neither can the hours be. If for whatever reason (family emergency, poor health, hate HK, hate CX, fall in love...whatever) you want to or have to leave HK no airline, not even a GA light twin company will want you. You have no recognisable hours. Add to that the Forgivable Loan (call it what it is, a "BOND") that has to be paid back if leaving < 6 years.... And you pay tax on that bond. You have to pay CX back every cent they "gave you" (HA!!!) So, you have to pay the bond plus the tax as that is non refundable, therefore you pay MORE than what you were "given"! (Aren't CX nice!!!! And we hear so often idiots sprouting, "but it's free!!") But if you stay.....
2) The Housing Allowance is not factored to CPI. So, then $10k in year 1 = $7,800 in year 2 (as per 22% increase last year alone, do some min research). Say the following year it's only 8%, then the next year 5%, then the next year 15%.... Just by this random but very conservative example (but not unrealistic) your $10k is now worth $5,795. So, eventually you become a Capt and get what a 3rd year SO under CoS08 gets: $36k. That $36k will be potentially worth LESS than the original $10k you started with some 20 years before!!!!
3) Savings and retirement..... Factor probable family, kids, single income supporting the family, bills, etc.... Sorry. This package is dirt. You will not retire comfortably. As a single person alone try to calculate how long it will take to save just for the deposit of a $5 million HKD apartment (ie, approx 550 sq ft in Sheung Wan)....??!!! A wife & 2 kids in that space?? Yeah, this "opportunity" keeps getting better...!!!!!

If you own your own hours you are not chained to a company with a history of disregarding the black & white terms and conditions of your contract, and under a legal system that also doesn't care. You own your own destiny and can apply to the vast range of airlines who are hiring pilots for DEFO on A320 or 737 with as little as 500 hrs TT. People will ask me where these jobs are. Again, there lies the stupidity. I don't even need a job yet I read aviation journals and web sites and they are staring at anyone with an ounce of common sense right in the face. And they pay a damn site better than the iCadet package as well as letting you touch the controls!!!

I'll bet not one of the iCadet advocates has read John Warhams book The 49ers - The True Story.

Last edited by ChinaBeached; 29th Oct 2011 at 04:58.