PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad
Thread: iPad
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2011, 11:30
FE Hoppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two different and unrelated (as yet) issues.

The first is regardless of the IOS. This is the misuse of PED as an EFB without approval.

The second is with approval to use the ipad as an EFB. In this case if IOS5 is installed you need to check that all your data is correct before flight because despite Compressor stalls misunderstanding of the case, your IOS5 device will make room for new data by deleting old stuff. Not the IOS itself but any data.

The most common scenario will be - bored on nightstop, download movie and watch, fall asleep while watching, wake up call, quick SSS and jump on the crew bus. Get half way through prefight check when you remember you downloaded a movie, check jep integrity and find missing data. No wifi or 3G connection on parking bay xx. No electronic charts.

I like the Ipad and I think it's use as an EFB is a good idea. However, it must be used with the correct safety system put in place and not on an ad hoc basis just because a crew member happens to have one.

EFBs require certification. If you have it you also have an approved method of mounting or regulations about stowing the device and I would guess you are about to get regulations about what private uses are approved and how much memory must be free.

DD - Never really paid much attention to be honest, as you'll know if you flew with me :-)

Last edited by FE Hoppy; 28th Oct 2011 at 11:55.