PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Installing WinXP after Win7
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2011, 08:45
acbus1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing WinXP after Win7

My new laptop is no doubt being kicked across some carrier's warehouse floor as I type. If it survives the ordeal, it will burst into life to the completely unfamiliar tunes of Windows 7. Oooooerrrrr!!!

As a precaution against loss of laptop computing whilst I learn all of the essential Windows 7 ritual dances and to ensure that at least something will run my ancient software, I want to install Windows XP, for which I have a CD, but a few red lights are flashing in my brain (amongst all the weird voices).

Preliminary worry: I'm always forced to link to Microsoft for some sort of 'approval' to use their software on a new install or machine, even hough I've already paid for it. So far, I've never been refused. Is it possible that a day will dawn when they demand more pounds of flesh before they will permit further use?

The main question is, can I install Win XP with Win 7 already installed? This link is (worryingly) the only one I've found suggesting that I can:

Dual Boot Your Pre-Installed Windows 7 Computer with XP - How-To Geek

Will this work, or will it irreversibly derange my new laptop within minutes of unpacking? All other search results insist that Win XP must be installed before later versions (in this case Win 7) are installed.

BTW, I need to keep the pre-installed Win 7 intact and very, very safe. The laptop only comes with a 'recovery disk', not the full set of Win 7 software disc(s).

Thanks!