PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad
Thread: iPad
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2011, 08:09
Epsilon minus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common sense needs to prevail here and many of you are not exhibiting any of it.

If one reads the PFD Blanking link circumspectly you will note the following:

The susceptibility of Honeywell Phase 3 DUs to Wi-Fi interference was discovered when FAA supplemental type certification for Aircell's Gogo air-to-ground (ATG)-based in-flight Internet solution was sought for Boeing 737NG aircraft. Blanking of the Phase 3 DUs was observed during required electro magnetic interference testing.
Speaking broadly about the interest that Jeppesen is fielding for a connected iPad-based EFB - and not the Honeywell situation in specific - Ellerbrock noted that, as a transmitting portable electronic device (T-PED), the iPad is no longer passive, but rather is actively talking on radio frequencies. "It means it is potentially more difficult to have a clean test with avionics interference, although we've seen some pretty good success so far. But there is more testing involved to make sure it is not interfering with avionics."
Again note EMI testing which the ipad has yet to pass.

Now I'm a fan of anything that improves safety and that includes information technology on the flight deck but PED's (EFB Class 1-3) needs to be scrutinised by way of risk assessment and data verification especially for type B software before they can make it anywhere near the aircraft. On top of that the hardware that the operator proposes to use must meet the specifications described in TGL36 and AMC 20-25.

The iPad is a wonderful tool for reading books and displaying charts but it is not proven for type B software (yet) and the data transfer methodology (apps) is far from satisfactory if you were to compare it with, for example, AIRAC cycle updates for the FMCS. No doubt EASA and the JOEB will be reviewing the ipad as we speak and may rule in its favour - if they do its down to the operator to apply to the CAA or their aviation authority for permission for use, the submission for which covers all that I have mentioned above. Until then you cant just stroll onto the flight deck with your iPad or kindle or whatever and use it to provide you with safety critical information - this is dangerous!

So if your still not convinced and hell bent on proving your case why don't you consult with your local FOI - Tell him who you are and who you work for and I'm sure he will put you straight - Don't argue with me or the other wise contributors to this forum.
Regards
EM