PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot saves lives in plane crash drama (seriously)
Old 28th Oct 2011, 07:16
Ovation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot saves lives in plane crash drama (seriously)

Source: NT News 28/10

PILOT SAVES LIVES IN PLANE CRASH DRAMA

THE pilot who successfully crash-landed his plane at Jabiru Airport keeping his passenger safe said he was just doing what he was paid to do.

Jason Botten , 31, of Gunbalanya Air Charters successfully made the emergency landing on the plane's belly when the nose wheels did not come down.

He described the steel-on-tarmac slide down the runway as a "rougher than normal landing."

Mr Botten said the plane vibrated violently as the nose dragged the length of the runway before coming to rest.

Mr Botten, a co-pilot, 24, and a passenger, 29, all walked away shaken but uninjured.

"I was just doing my job. I don't want to be made out that I am some sort of special bloke. I was just doing what I am paid to do,"

CIVIL aviation authorities yesterday began an investigation.

Engineers inspected the wreckage of a twin-engine light aircraft.

The Cessna 310 crash-landed at Jabiru airport, 220km east of Darwin, on Wednesday about 6.30 pm.

The plane was on its way to Maningrida from the outstation of Manmoi when it was diverted to Jabiru for the emergency landing.

Contrary to earlier police reports there was just one passenger.

The pilot and his passenger escaped unhurt.