PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly-in, fly-out culture stretching air traffic
Old 28th Oct 2011, 06:28
ReadMyACARS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg Russell has provided a solution, ADSB, which has been pointed out above will allow more aircraft into the airspace. Asking the mining companies for help though is pretty much a waste of time, I can't think of many, well any, who employ decision makers in their supply and logistics departments who would have a vague understanding of the issues. We buy planes by the hour based on shifting so many people, so many times a week, "How much is it going to cost?" From our (miners) perspective, it is a long way to work and we need to get people there as early as we can. BUT, given how much time we spend in the terminal waiting for taxi slot times and are late anyway, it seems foolish not to move to a later time, 45 mins would do it. And yes, Fridays to Mondays is possible and we (the staff) would welcome it. Okay, sometimes, I suspect many would not.

WA has sufficient coverage of ADSB receivers see this link both Hedland and Karratha are well covered; out here near Leonora/Laverton we have coverage over about 10 airports down to 2000' or less. So controllers have the tools they need to see do their side of the deal.

A new runway is still possible and is still part of the long term plan, one of the considerations is the cost of runway vs how many planes we can get into the air with ADSB across the state. I suspect a shorter 2000 metre parellel strip might still win. High speed turn offs would also make a difference, but we do not seem to be making much head way on either. However runways and taxiways are not part of Airservices responsibility; who could forget the stunning achievments of airport privatisation!

I could go on but what no one has mentioned in amongst the government hating, burearucracy hating and other mindless rubbish, is that the reason we don't have better ADSB use, is that none, not one, of the charter companies in Perth has spent one cent on equipping their aircraft with ADSB gear. Certainly some companies have ADSB equipped aircraft, but only because that is how they were delivered. If the charter companies, who sell planes by the hour, not the seat, are feeling hard done by maybe they could make a small contribution to the system. From ATC's perspective thay have invested in the system, but the charter companies are really dragging the chain on their part of the deal. I might also add that of the aircraft that do have ADSB, none of them operate within any sort of tolerance, if you have a look on Flightradar24 or Planefinder and see where the charter aircraft land and take off from you'll be amused. More than one has 'landed' on Horrie Miller Drive (and hangers, terminals, slightly off taxiways etc) due to a lack of accuracy in the ADSB source. So how about the charter companies a) investing in ADSB sooner rather than wait for a deadline and b) talking to some of their customers to look at rescheduling, sometimes 10 - 15 mins would make a difference.