PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly-in, fly-out culture stretching air traffic
Old 28th Oct 2011, 01:10
ozineurope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little history here.

Back in about 1999 local Perth ATC approached the then Ansett WA in an effort to have them modify their scheduled 6am departures to better spread the load. At that time the 6 F28s all mixed it with the east coast jets, other intra state flights - I think it was about 45 scheduled departures in the first 75 minutes of the morning. This came after Capt Australian Airlines complained about a 45 minute wait at 0600.

Working locally AWA and Perth ATC managed to move 4 of the F28s to 0530 to 0555 departures thus alleviating the problem in a small way. Perth ATC were crticised by the coporate section becasue we did not go through their channels - Ansett melbourne - to have this done.

My point is the solution is achievable but there needs to be the will and cooperation of all the parties to reach a solution. Unfortunately I think the current ASA structure is so out of touch with the realities that this cooperation will never be achieved.

Local controllers have been saying for a long time that infrastructure was needed - a radar at MSN was even suggested in 1997 to solve the coverage problems. Too much dosh to spend for the West coast where there is no aviation!! For too long Perth controllers have beaten their heads against the east coast centric mindset to achieve little.

And again we see the east coast centric solution - blame someone else because we were too short sighted or pig headed to listen to people who had a real feel for what was going on. What the hell would local boggie controllers know about strategic air traffic management?

Negotiations and solutions rarely involve the coal face, cant let those unwashed controllers talk directly to the airlines - egad! Must be done through a strata of red tape and corporate relations by people whno have little connection with aviation and even less with experience with real time ATM.

Soap box, megaphone, out the door.