PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra Bomber
Thread: Canberra Bomber
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2011, 21:24
pr00ne

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
Juliet Papa,

Indeed the B1 was intended as a radar equipped blind bomber. At least if it HAD turned out that way it would have made some sense.

As far as bang seats go, I was referring to the B(I)8, the interdictor-bomber that equipped the RAFG strike squadrons up until 1972. They most certainly did NOT have a bang seat for the sole nav. 270 knots at 250 ft and 360 knots on the IP to target run, lunacy with no bang seat!

I had forgotten about the French SFOM sight, didn't work at night is that right? But, as the RAFG squadrons really were only nuclear strike committed I don't suppose that really mattered.

Still disagree about it being a true multi-role combat aircraft. Like the Blenheim it was around in sufficient numbers to be used in a multiplicity of largely second line roles for which it was not designed, and like the Blenheim it would have been criminal to send it out against the opposition of the time. I faced roughly the same threats in the F4, if they worried me how on earth must the B(I)8 crews have felt?

Never really came across any NEAF Strike wing bods, I suppose you must have been a little better of than the RAFG mob?

Krystal n chips,

That was all they were good for.