PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accident Statistics
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2002, 14:48
Dick Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I trained in Canada in '53 on Harvards and T33s. I went on to do two years with 605Sqn RAuxAF, on Vampires with two T7s for IF. The Meteor was a big heavy aircraft, and the jump for UK trained students straight from the Harvard and with (imho) poor instrument flying skills was pretty horrendous.

All you have heard is true. The EFATO at Rissie in the 60s was a turbine destruct at t/o rpm that blew the port nacelle to shreds. No chance.

The T7 had a problem with canopy jettison. The canopy could swing sideways and decapitate the back seat pilot. This tended to limit options for abandonment.

Does anyone recall the Aux sqn setting off in formation for Sylt? The leader raised his gear too early and set fire to the ventral. Someone behind called for a jettison, which he did, blocking the runway with burning fuel. The leader turned downwind and looked down on an airfield covered in scattered Meteors.

I have pilots notes for Meteors 7, and 11 and in one book for the 11,12, 13, 14 and TT20. Not to mention the Vampire 5 and T11 and the Hunter 1.

Now, that was an aircraft, the Hunter 1. No armament, no fuel to speak of, she climbed like a homesick angel.

Dick W