PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra Bomber
Thread: Canberra Bomber
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2011, 15:47
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Pr00ne

Canberra radar - The first Canberra version, the B.1, was supposed to have a version of H2S radar which never materialised (shades of things to come !). I think that only the first prototype had the B.1's "solid" nose and was very quickly followed by the B.2 with the glazed nose for the Nav/observer to do his bomb-aiming stuff, which was kept for most subsequent Marks.
Professor R.V. Jones, writing about the "Secret War", relates how H2S emissions from the WW2 Bomber Force were by the German defences to locate incoming raids, perhaps one (other ?) reason for dropping it from the Canberra ...

Navs' ejection seats - Both navigators had ejection seats.

War load - from conventional high-explosive to nuclear bombs, and later, 20 mm cannon, SNEB rocket packs (SFOM fixed cross sight for the pilot) to the AS30 guided weapon (steered by Nav/Obs) which was being intorduced as the Indonesian Confrontation of the mid to late 60s ended.
Incidentally I was surprised when I flew the B15 that the UK had, even then, to go to France for those weapons.
A true multi-role Combat aircraft nevertheless. As far as the PR versions go, I suspect that the PR9's operating ceiling was far superior to the Tornado's.

Yes, it should have been replaced many years before it was retired, but that's another story.

PS. While the figures for safety speed may look horrendous, remember that it was reached surprisingly quickly, even in the lower-powered versions, the post-take-off "pucker factor" time was correspondingly short. I don't know how that compared with say, the Mosquito, deH Hornet or Beaufighter, Mitchell, or Boston, not to talk of those earlier WW2 piston twins, the Blenheim or Blackburn Botha - I once had a piece of perspex glazing from one of them which crashed soon after take-off on Blackpool sands, near where I was at school.