PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets Civilian Gliding Instructor
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2011, 12:33
bobward

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Put something back.

I was an ATC cadet from 1965 to 1972. I then rejoined as an instructor in 1975, and am still there. In my total career I've held every rank, and done every job (bar one*) from cadet 2nd class to squadron commander.

It's still probably the best youth group in the country. The best part for me is to watch the kids the first time they fly. You pour a pussycat into the left seat at the start, them watch the tiger bounce out at the end. For you Ppruners who fly these kids - thank you!

The job satisfaction is second to none, whether you give your unit a couple of hours a month as civilian instructor, or go to overload as a squadron commander. The CRB, and all the other stuff can be a pain, although if my kids were there I'd want to make sure they were being properly looked after.

Aswas said earlier in the thread, there are a lot more people involved in the organisation than the pilots - important as they are. Sadly, because of the way society has changed in the last few years, fewer and fewer people are getting involved. They don't know what they're missing!

Cheers
B

(*Ps the one job I haven't done yet has been squadron padre....although, give me a couple of years and.....)