PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 27th Oct 2011, 03:13
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you learn to fly by instruments you need to ignore what your body feels. Vertigo will kill you if you let it. JFK JR did just that when he went in his graveyard spiral. I have been there and know what it feels like but when it happened I knew if I didn't believe those instruments and went by my instincts I was dead. I was laying over half sideways fighting the instinct to go with my body which felt upright and that self survival instinct vs. believe the instruments. We were IFR in a Lear Jet at high altitude and didn't have a lot of time to sort things out. Pilot experience actually flying, not monitoring an autopilot, sometimes pays off. It would be interesting how much stick time these two had. Monitoring the autopilot doesn't count.

My buddy was flying the empty Lear Jet and decided he wanted to hand fly it while I was balancing fuel with my head sideways when I saw everything going bad and took over. It ended up ok but could have been a disaster for us. I couldn't sit up straight until we descended below the clouds.

Seems like if the PNF had been more agressive he could have prevented what the PF caused by holding full back on the SS.