PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Standard newspaper article... CX losing pilots
Old 26th Oct 2011, 23:08
cyrilroy21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its easy isnt it . You see someone from a particular part of the world and assume that everyone of them are the same type or kind that you might have seen or experienced .

I 'll agree to most of what emb145gearslinger said regarding my flying school before I arrived there . It was out of control . Thankfully a new management was appointed and kicked all those who were underperforming or violated the rules frequently .
But this was something common in other flying schools within the U.S . Indian students were always the bad apples .
Most of them never wanted to become pilots . They decided overnight to head to the U.S and become pilots because thats what their friends did . They werent there because liked flying . They just wanted to end up in the U.S , drink , smoke and party all the time . Most of them would not come to fly . I remember one particular guy just disappeared from the school for two weeks and then appeared all of a sudden out of nowhere . Needless to say he wasnt there in the school for long .
These guys even flunked their written exams as well as stage checks and checkrides .
My earlier posts regarding my flying school can be found in my history .

I worked for all my ratings and finished them on time . Never flunk any of my exams and I dont think the FAA DPE who was a Senior US airways check captain would have passed me if he did not think I was qualified to pass the exams . For the record this particular captain had 50% pass rate at my flying school . So all those posts about no failures is completely false .

But all the above does not mean I am a hot shot pilot and that i know everything . I am not sure what gave you that idea . I have miles to go and lot to learn and experience .

Having a flight instructor sitting next to you for 250 hours or less spoon feeding you decisions is not the same as having your own life depend on yours
This something that would happen if you learn to fly in India . But in the U.S where i leant to fly my total dual time was about 110 hours the rest of the hours where all PIC cross country flying , all the way to 250 without any instructors on board .

No matter where you did your training nothing can replace experience. The flight training environment does not replicate the real world.
I dont argue with this fact and agree with the same .

India kicked out highly experienced foreign FO's a few years ago so they could replace them with a bunch of wet CPL holding Indians who had not flown their Cessnas in over a year in most cases. Was this the safest move in your opinion?
If India did not do this all Indian Citizens with a CPL would sit on the ground unemployed forever as they do not have any other opportunities for to build experience .
I believe this is case with most countries even including the U.S . You have to be European to be employed in Europe , You have to be canadian to be employed in Canada , same goes for australia and south africa .

Even if I did have have 3000 hours PIC on a B747 i will never be allowed to be employed with a even a U.S regional airline let alone a major . They will probably hire someone with 500 tt piston and 100 multi piston .
Hows that for protectionism ?
What the Indian govt did is no different than what govt's of other countries did and that was to see to it the locals did not go unemployed .

Outside of India with it's protectionist hiring practices, you won't see many Indians with 250 hours flying jets
The only place you wont see such practices happen is in countries that have a developed General Aviation economy . Eg: U.S , Canada , Australia
Because GA supplies experienced pilots airlines in these countries keep their minimums high . If they cant find experienced pilots naturally they will lower their requirements to the min or whatever is the highest available .

All other countries hire their locals with the highest experience available otherwise these locals will never get a chance in their whole life to become pilots

Ironically a lot of U.S regional airlines did hire 250tt and 50 multi straight out of flying school back in 2006 and 2007 .
Pinnacle airlines does that today for graduates of Western Michigan University's flight program . They walk into Pinnacle without even having to give an interview .

I am quite sure all those unemployed pilots in India will take any pilot job that comes their way . So when you cant find jobs at home you start looking outside . No different than any other unemployed pilot anywhere else in the world whether experienced or not .

The funny thing is all I asked was what the A scale and B scale pilot pay was at Cathay and the thread ended up bashing unemployed Indian Pilots because the guy who asked the question happened to be from India

I am sorry I did not mean to insult anyone with my posts . But its does get on ones nerves when people start painting you with same brush they paint everyone else

And no I am not applying at Cathay because I dont want to undercut someone else's pay . Sooner or later they are going to stuff the very same terms and conditions down the throats of Senior Cathay pilots on the old pay scale .
By then it will be too late to search for expat jobs as all the locals of these developing countries would have upgraded to captain by then .
I dont want to be the cause for downgrading your career

Good Day Gentlemen

Last edited by cyrilroy21; 27th Oct 2011 at 02:50.