PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2011, 21:57
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Lite and heavy pilots

Salute!

I am compelled to comment here.

There are many aspects of flying the neat fighters, with their vastly expanded flight envelopes compared to the "heavies", but the basic lesson here is simply "airmanship" and training.

The big advantage we lite pukes had over the folks that have never stretched the envelope was to see an unusual flight condition and then learn how to get back into controlled flight. And then there is the "pinball wizard" phenomena we have seen the last ten or so years. It deeply disturbs me.

I fully understand the "system manager" concept and trust me, the fighter folks have had to do this for the last 30 years or so, especially the single-seat guys as I was. Nevertheless, when Otto goes "able sugar" or the gauges do not indicate the actual altitude or airspeed or....., then it's back to "needle-ball-airspeed" and help from a standby attitude indicator and so forth.

There is no substitute for airmanship.

I do not subscribe to the position of at least poster here than continues to maintain that the jet did exactly what it was designed to do. Maybe aerodynamically, but not the human interface and some questionable control law reversion sequences.

enuf, and I'll cool down later. Somebody get me outta this tree!