PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military IRT validity under EASA
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2011, 20:39
jpboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been covered but I'll repeat to try and get this URGENT message across.

As it stands you will need to do another civil IR because at cease work 07 Apr 12 all military exemptions/dispensations cease as EASA becomes the provinence document. The CAA will issue type ratings onto licences until the deadline but to have the type rating added you must have completed the type rating course, base training and all paperwork/fees sorted and be at the Gatwick counter or have had the license stamped and in the post to you as the office closes.

A rough guide is that it would take 3 months to be at this stage from course start date. You would need to start the course Jan 12 latest and have a switched on airline training set up to make the deadline.

All the info comes from having spent the last 8 weeks liaising on behalf of our QSP candidates between my airline training dept, type rating provider, the CAA and the 2 guys at 22 Gp who have had this dumped on them. I'll include a review for info, trust me it's as brief as I can make it!

Main points;

1) To renew an IR expired by more than 7 years applicants for a multi-pilot aircraft (MPA) must pass a type rating skills test with or observed by a UK CAA Flt Ops Inspector and retake the IR(A) theoretical knowledge examinations. A QSP cannot use his Green Instrument Rating to maintain the validity and currency of his civilian IR beyond the 7 year point (LASORS Section E pg 7).

2) Where less than 7 years have elapsed since the rating expired but IR privileges have been exercised under a military IR qualification (fixed-wing or rotary) the renewal requirements will be based on the expiry of that military IR (LASORS Section E pg 7).

3) An applicant for the first type rating course for a MPA shall hold a current and valid multi-engine IR. This requirement applies to the first MPA type rating. A UK QSP(A) who has held a Green Instrument Rating within the preceding 5 years is deemed to hold a current and valid IR (LASORS Section F4.1 pg 20). A Green Instrument Rating on any military aircraft meets this requirement eg. IR on Seneca 4 years ago currently Green Rated on the Tutor meets the requirement (CAA statement after consultation with CAA Policy Dept).

4) Unless the RAF make a case to EASA by the 08 Apr 12 all exemptions and considerations for military experience will cease midnight 07 Apr 12. As it stands the CAA will issue type ratings to QSP's based on the requirements in 2) and 3) above until that deadline. Consequently, any such candidate will need to have completed base training, all necessary paperwork and either post well in advance or use the counter service at Gatwick to have had the type rating issued by cease work 07 Apr 12. To meet the deadline candidates will need to have started the type rating course by early Jan 12 latest.

Last edited by jpboy; 26th Oct 2011 at 21:06.