PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 26th Oct 2011, 19:45
Lonewolf_50

Received 433 Likes on 273 Posts
Dan, as I've pointed out before on this topic, the USMC didn't want to pay the manpower bill (2.2x) for the maritime blackhawk idea back in the 90's.

Different pots of money that have differing program and life cycle costs to the taxpayer.

Some folks forget that we cut the DoD manpower by about 40 percent in the post Cold War drawdown. During the critical decision time on the V-22 program, each of the services was in the position of having to be careful what the manpower and training costs accrued to any weapons system.

I have a friend who worked on the DCSPER staff in the Army, early 90's, who had as one of his staff projects keeping or losing a gunner in the Blackhawk/Huey for the TOE in a given aviation battalion. That's a difference of a few thousand soldiers, if you look at how many Blackhawks and Hueys the Army had at the time.

That kind of problem, numbering a few thousand different but similar problems, was being solved or not by staffs all over all four armed services. In that environment, the larger plane with fewer pilots (expensive to train, 2-5 million per currently, through the FRS) and fewer crewmen for the total USMC manpower bill was a selling point for V-22 that had nothing to do with pros and cons of a given airframe.

Manpower costs are not borne by the APN-1 type of acquisition cost, so the apples to apples comparison being attempted here (Jack, your numbers in terms of S-70 substitutes) isn't one.

Commandant of USMC had to look at which area to optimize in, or how to suboptimize in both areas (machines and manpower and program sustainment) to both meet his budget and manning limitations, and get the mission done.

I don't find a lot of people who only work in the aircraft/helicopter industry who grasp how those kinds of problems are framed, funded, and solved.
I find less in the media who have a clue.

All we seem to get is people who can see one thin slice of a very large pizza.

All that said, Jack's question remains valid:

Is it $22 billion more in capability? If so, how do you measure that, or show it? What are the metrics?

I don't have the answer to that.