PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra Bomber
Thread: Canberra Bomber
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2011, 16:35
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Pr00ne

I sympathise with your feelings about your choices for postings after training - by that time it had clearly been "relegated"after a much longer career than anyone could have thought of back in 1952 when it came into service (I'm not being patronising, you understand).
You at least had some interesting possibilities before you, which hardly existed "way back when" after the TSR2 fiasco - Tim McClellan among others has much to say on this, but what even he (ISTR) didn't mention that the idea of having all the magic Kit for all its intended roles fully singing and dancing from EIS was another factor in the failure of the "Canberra replacement" programme.
The Canberra actually "grew" into its various roles over a longish period as its potential versatility was realised (I know that the PR3 was almost contemporary with the B2).
I agree that by the '70s, it was quite likely to suffer a "Batlle -or Blenheim - vs Me 109s et al" if things got really hot, but that wasn't the fault of the aircraft, rather the impractical start its intended successor had, before the almost incredible MOD/Industry/politicos/Navy tangle set to work.
I hope you got your preferred choice - lots of people a few years earlier didn't have that luck! (and preferred to (re)join the civilian world than continue being ****ed rigid from a*****les to breakfast time.