PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons not to apply for emirates airlines
Old 26th Oct 2011, 11:29
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thexman

If you're leaving, perhaps I don't blame you for offloading your frustrations.

However, whilst I certainly agree with one or two points in your post, in my view there is more emotion than cold facts. Whilst I'm certainly not defending EK for all their policies and procedures, judgement needs to be balanced.

Annex flights and variations are not unique to EK, far from it. Secondly, ASR's are legally required to be submitted to the regulatory authority and they are. If you feel that a report had been submitted and it's been doctored sufficiently to deflect the true problem, then speak to flight safety. If that fails, use the GCAA's confidential reporting system.

I have never in my entire time heard of anyone receiving a final warning for no reason. Unless I see it in writing or I know the individual concerned, I ignore rumour and hearsay. Just because we hear a story from 2 or 3 sources does not a true story make. It's just the same one going round and round being spiced up each day. Do you know the reason why the Melbourne guys resigned? If you do, regardless of the process, you might understand why they left and not stay to appeal. In all cases, our 'friends' accounts of events will naturally be heavily biased to their own viewpoint.

Not once have I ever been reported by any crew member. Treat people as you wish to be treated and you'll be surprised how often extra pillows are offered, along with cappucinos! I also make it very clear in all briefings that any personal issues should come through me first. That negates the back stabbing. Lounge access? Never a problem when on duty travel, staff travel is a different issue altogether.

So, looking at other aspects of your gripes. Is there any reason why you can't check your mail before a flight, especially if you're dropped off early? It takes 5 minutes.... if you can be bothered to leave your case by laundry and take the elevator down 1 floor. Training? I too detest Pelesys, which is why it has been reduced considerably as a result of pilot feedback and we now get several extra classroom days each year. Which would you prefer? You will have to study anyway, regardless of which airline you're employed by. Visa runs are a pain, sure, but part and parcel of life here. It's once every 3 years. Is it really that bad? Did you not have to do medicals with your last airline or pay car insurance or gas bills, all the same things that millions of people all over the World have to fit in between their working days. I don't know any airline that gives you time off for personal admin. My EK medicals are done on either standby days or R/D's.

Talking of bills, why do you think Emirates brought in the 'cap' on utility bills? Because, as usual, people were abusing the system, heating swimming pools, watering big grass filled gardens and putting air conditioner units into large garden sheds so their bicycles didn't rust. Despite this cap, there is not one pilot who has actually had to pay a single dirham. Did you?

I don't care about the suitcase limit because I'm rarely over it. If I am, it doesn't bother me because I know I don't take the piss. I'll be quite happy to stand up and defend it anyway. Overnight allowances have never not covered me for what they're designed for. If you want to go outside and eat in Dhaka, feel free. Yes, a poor example I know which is why i'm surprised you used it for your example. Is it not a muslim country where alcohol is prohibitively expensive for that very reason? If you're that desperate for a beer or three within 24 hours, stick a few stubbies in your case.

Wearing the hat? It's been done to death here before. The Company provide me a uniform and pay me to wear it, so I do. Did you not notice the hats before you joined if you felt it so much of an issue? Which leads me to my final point. Pyjamas.

Your comment was actually the catalyst for my reply. To be honest, I found it rather pathetic. You obviously find it acceptable to wear them on the flight deck whilst you undertake your professional duties. I wonder if you'd ever thought if this would present a problem during a time critical emergency, conducting a NITS brief, diverting due to a medical problem or having to deal with an issue in the cabin? If i'd been your Captain, I would have ensured that the scenario of you being reported would not have materialised. When you are part of the operating crew, regardless of it being a ULR operation, you operate in uniform. Not only does it demostrate professional attitude, it forms the basic manners and courtesy that's required when we share our confined working environment with fellow colleagues.

I wish you well in your new airline and I hope it brings you the satisfaction that you desire. I suspect though, from reading your post, that wherever you end up, your unhappiness will follow.

Last edited by BYMONEK; 26th Oct 2011 at 12:18.