PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Selecting appropriate field for PFL
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2011, 00:00
osmosis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lifetime ago, I was given a simulated two-engined failure at height in a light twin over very inhospitable country and I chose the only vaguely suitable pinprick-sized landing area and configured for it. It was the steep side of a large hill and as I got lower I realised I would have to land cross-slope with significant crossed controls and I was likely to hit a wire stock fence. There was nowhere else to go as I was over heavy native forest. Assuming I was committed to carry out this approach and landing, where is the opportunity in dreamland for me to carry out a disciplined reconnoitre on my chosen field and its alternatives?

Likewise, when being instructed in low level work no emphasis is placed on the finer details of emergency landing areas; there is simply no time. With a simulated engine failure, a quick pull up to above treetop height, choose something on or just off the nose big, open & flat and use it. Trees can be avoided but sometimes there's a fence in the way. If so, go through it; you may even choose to go through a fence to assist deceleration.

Areas chosen by your flying schools for training PFL techniques are likely to have been specifically inspected and operationally approved but as PIC in the real world, you are not given that luxury. The previous two posts have come from wise old heads; you would do well to heed the advice you have asked for and been given.