PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2011, 23:09
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Yokes, sticks and feedback

I do not believe any of the commercial jets last 30 years had a pneumatic doofer to provide some feedback for the yoke/stick. As RF4 said, the Voodoo and Phantom had a ram air bellows that increased the aft stick force according to dynamic pressure. It was not "feedback", and only served to keep us from ripping the wings off if we pulled too hard too fast, heh heh.

I also do not believe there was a lotta direct feedback via the cables, push rods and such for most airliners since the 777 and 'bus series. Could be wrong.

If we pilots insist upon a great "feel" with the new FBW systems, it is not a big deal. The force or "deflection angle" sticks/yokes can easily be modified to use sensed "q" and even actuator/control surface position to "vibrate" the controls or increase force requirements according to "q" and so forth. Hell, the jet would feel like a huge Sopwith Camel!

Besides all the confusing warnings and the perceived unreliable readouts the AF crew dealt with, they also did not have obvious "feel" of the jet's condition. So I think that the 'bus has very good aero characteristics and that the remaining FBW features helped keep the jet from entering a spin or having extreme roll moments. The delta's had very good directional stability, and little buffet once past a useable AoA. Biggest clue was the vertical velocity pegged downward and the altimeter unwinding faster than you can believe. Ask a Concorde pilot or one that flew the F-102, F-106, J-35, Mirage, et al.

So some form of "feedback" via the sidestick could be in order. Actual control surface feedback, a "buzz" to indicate stall or approach to stall, etc.