PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 25th Oct 2011, 17:05
Aileron Drag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lord Spandex Masher
AD, just curious. How far above the main wing is the 330 elevator? Is it a similar distance as, for example, a BAc 111?

You simply can't confine deep stalls or super stalls to T-Tail only types. It is entirely possible to get a deep/super stall on a conventional (read not a T-Tail) type. A swept wing is actually more prone to a deep stall than a T-Tail but a T-Tail is harder to recover, hence pushers and all that jazz. Remember swept wing pitch up?!
Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't know how far above the main wing the 330 horiz-stab is, but I would guess that the designers would have ensured that, at a main wing stall alpha, the horiz-stab would still be flying.

The BAC 1-11 was a T-tail aeroplane.

I do not believe that a swept-wing aircraft is prone, at all, to a deep stall, as the elevator would normally be available for recovery (provided the PH is not holding the stick hard back!).

Regarding swept-wing pitch up at the stall, I understand that, with washout, the wingtip stalls last, retaining roll-control at the point of the stall. Therefore, the tendency of a swept-wing aircraft is to pitch down, not up, unless someone is holding the stick hard back.

ChristiaanJ - Sorry, while I was composing my rant on deep-stalls, you had covered the point very well.