PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Common misunderstandings B737
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2011, 13:44
seventhreedriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- Late descent clearence for some reason - pushing LVL CHG and pulling the thrust levers back manually without waiting for the AT to do it - of course speed will decrease below the target - leads to nice oscillations during the first couple thousand feet - after this, complaining how unreliable the AP is as it fails to maintain speed.

- Starting the descend 20NM before the TOD because "the -200 had a bad press. system, and it needs time to sort out the descend rate."

- Putting the automatic temperature selector to full low (or even to manual) on a hot summer day (same on the Airbus). It sets temperature, not the rate of cooling!

-Doing the flight control check (rudder part) without holding the tiller, or with a speed you have hard time following the yoke.

-Disregarding a gentle suggestion by the FO not to climb to the max level when it is turbulent and it was turbulent on the other way 2 hours ago - almost stalling -then explaining why it was a dangerous. (as the 700 was really unstable on the speed during turbulence)

-When "Drag Required", pulling the speed brakes, even as PM, although we still have 70 NM, no wind and we are at FL200 at 270kts with no descend restriction, then explaining, during the 15 NM level flight, what drag required means (descend planning is quite easy on the classic, the second part is mainly CRM, I admit)

-Taxiing with 15 its on a long strait taxiway and when the whole airplane starts vibrating at 16 kts, slowing down to 14, which does not solve anything, and after this, writing it down to the tech log as a failure (I might not be correct about the exact speeds, but there is a note in the FCTM about this)

- 737-300, 16 NM on the LOC/GS, Flaps 5, 10 kts headwind, speed around 15-20 kts higher than the bug, very slow but steady deceleration, no speed restriction. AT warning light starts to flash, PM (usually the CDR), either puts the gear down or extends the speed brakes. (not because of the circumstances, but because he/she does not understand what the three lights next to the PFD mean (which I also forgot by now))