PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mark Whitaker Campaign for AAPMBF Trustee
Old 24th Oct 2011, 23:17
Algie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypothesis: Lack of transparency in the Board's deliberations?

Reality: If the Qantas Board, or Rex, or Federal Cabinet, or CASA or any other outfit which is the subject of complaint posts on Prune had the same level of access, accountability and transparency the posts on Pprune would fall by 80%

I am not a fund member, have not made a claim on the Fund, am not a secret supporter of the election of any Board member, am not standing for election and don't even live in Australia any more.....but I have had a long career with peace of mind knowing the MBF is there. I would bet my Collingwood membership that there are no secret societies involved in the MBF. No black helicopters, secret handshakes, slush funds, Area 51 or hideaways for the Second Gunman.

There is however an impressive list of member privileges and protections:
  • It only takes 20 members to call for it and there has to be a Special Meeting where questions can be asked, motions put, positions spilled. The quorum for a Special meeting is only 10.
  • There is an Annual General Meeting each year
  • The Fund has a Financial Services Licence and is answerable to that regulator for both regular reports as well as as mandatory reporting of key events
  • The Fund’s accounts are audited
  • The Fund’s rules are published
  • Members get to vote on every rule change
  • The address and telephone number of the Fund are published
  • All the board members are elected
  • Member claims are reviewed every month an grievances can be taken to court or the Ombudsman

Two things will never change-and thank goodness:

1. The Board DOES NOT discuss private and confidential members medical situations in public forums
2. The MBF has only one purpose, to look after pilots and their families.

Mark-you are receiving a handsome monthly payment with no strings and for no work from the very Fund you are publicly bucketing. I don't know you but may I suggest that is beneath you. The fact that the Board has not yet decided on an outcome that suits you is not by itself prima facie evidence of collusion, conspiracy or malevolence.

I am sure you are working extremely hard to get your medical back and I am sure I join all Pruners in wishing you well

Algie