PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2011, 21:05
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dozy asks about ergo issues. Maybe ergo wasn't the correct term, but I'm speaking of a cluttered flight instrument display, tapes instead of dials for speed/altitude/vertical speed, attention demanding ECAM system, single sense (visual) input, no control feedback, ,,,,, have I missed any? Please notice that some of those are not Airbus specific.

Someone mentioned that the SS does offer feel. Yes, it does offer feel, but not feedback. Maybe I'm just "ham handed", but the feel offered by the Airbus SS is of little value to me. Once you break out of center, I don't feel much difference between part and full deflection. But more importantly, the FBW system prevents me from feeling the controls I.e. "feedback". In an MD80, I can feel a wing start to drop (thru the yoke) before it happens. In the Airbus, I have to see the wing drop on the ADI, make a corrective control movement, watch the ADI again to verify the control was successful. IOW, with feedback, I never had to think or process a control input. My hands felt the controls and sent the message straight to flying part of my brain which returned the correct input to the control yoke. No cognitive process involved.