PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2011, 14:49
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JR you 'white cane current' for landings?

Do NOT try to peer down the side of the cowl on landing - you'll end up pointed way left because you will tend to line up the curved cowl with what little else you can see. 75-80 kts down final...75kts over the fence...trickle off the power as you round out and flare looking straight ahead into nothing and keep stuff lined up in your peripheral vision. Keep the nose coming up for a tail low wheeler. As the tail wheel settles on slide your feet up onto the brakes 'cause you is about to lose rudder effectiveness. The tail wheel is stearable but you WILL need a little brake to stay straight.

Get the round out and flare right and she will reward you with lovely greasers...but the C195 is about the blindest tail dragger you will ever fly. Two people who have owned/flown Harvards and who also own/fly C195s have told me the 195 is a significantly more challenging aeroplane to land.

Get current in a C185 concentrating on tail low/wheeler landings and the C195 won't present any insurmountable problems landing wise. They can be 3 pointed but the rear bulkhead is a weak point and did I mention they are BLIND forward on the ground?