PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 24th Oct 2011, 11:52
iceman50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that keep going on about the requirement for force feedback because nothing is apparent to the pilot when the sidestick is moved, have you flown the type? I doubt it because to achieve the 15 degrees nose up that the Pf achieved requires a SUBSTANTIAL and CONSTANT back stick and the FORCE required to do so SIGNIFICANT! It is NOT just a little blip on the sidestick that you would NOT know you were applying.

worrier

The fact you have lost the speeds does NOT mean you will fall out of the sky just hold the attitude, that is why we have a big Primary Flight Display. The ECAM does not need to tell you why the AP has disconnected as it is apparent due to loss of airspeed indications and the PFD will show some of the protections that are NOT available. So all the PF has to do is hold the attitude through any turbulence until the PM can run the ECAM and before you know it the speeds recover.

LYMAN

You are clutching at straws with
The part of the upset and LOC that is important has to do with what the PF saw, determined, and did post a/p drop, prior to STALL.

You have DFDR data, Period. You do NOT know what the PF saw, He certainly had no access to the recorded data, and his screen was NOT recorded.
You are trying to say that the PF's PFD was not available to him because it is not on the DFDR. Well you are actually saying that the PF is incompetent as he was trying to fly the aircraft without a PFD, when he should have handed over control immediately if that was the case.

RenegadeMan
can't possibly have been trained well enough to deal with the conditions they found themselves in that night (dark, IMC, turbulence), the complexities of the flight data systems being compromised by the pitot malfunction and responses of the aircraft to the extremity of the a/p & auto throttle disconnect.
Wrong I am afraid as the Instrument rating is designed for flight in the dark or heaven forbid IMC! The A/C was NOT at any "extremity" when the AP and A/THR disconnected they were virtually STRAIGHT and LEVEL, one of the first things we were taught as PILOTS!

I will say again that once they were in the stall they were then poorly placed to recognise and recover, confusion reigned, HOWEVER they should NOT have been in that situation in the first place. If the stall warning had been programmed to keep operating below 60 kts I doubt it would have helped them as they did not "hear" it, in the zoom climb, when it would have saved them, so I doubt they would have "heard" it in the actual stall!
As an aside, why on earth would any designer / regulator of a transport category aircraft, never mind the pilot, expect an aircraft of that size to get below 60kts in flight, without a stall recovery being attempted a long time before is beyond me!