PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avation Lawyer?
Thread: Avation Lawyer?
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2011, 08:32
ExSp33db1rd

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Obviously can't help with this, but for interest ....

I applied to the NZ CAA for a NZ PPL based on my still valid, but not current, UK ATPL. The NZ CAA insisted that my UK ATPL be valid and current in every respect before they would agree, i.e. they wanted me to go to the UK and do a BFR, I/Rtg renewal etc etc. I would then be allowed to fly a NZ BFR in a 172 for the issue of a NZ PPL. no I/Rtg. (which was all I wanted )

As it happened, shortly afterwards I did indeed return to a professional flying position in the UK for a short while involving a 747 freighter. I then returned to NZ and produced a fully valid and current UK ATPL including I/Rtg.and asked for a NZ ATPL.

NZ CAA said that they didn't recognise a UK I/Rtg. go and do an initial NZ I/Rtg. on a twin Beech something.

It was OK for me to fly UK 747's around NZ in IFR, but not an NZ registered club 172 ( or similar )

I declined and told them what to do with their licence etc. - and went and flew microlights instead.

The irony is that one can get an Initial NZ I/Rtg. that only allows one to fly an NDB, then one eventually adds the VOR, and ILS etc. nothing like the full blown UK I/Rtg. that I had held and renewed annually for nearly 40 years.

The Law (and the Campaign Against Aviation) is an Ass.

Best of Luck.