PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SERCO Baghdad
Thread: SERCO Baghdad
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2011, 02:31
meddle east

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
visa issues

I've been told that rush trips out of Iraq can take a few days for a visa. Is that the visa "problem" you mentioned?

Visa requires giving up your passport for a few days while it goes into town to get 'stamped'. None of us like this but this is how it happens. If you need to get out 'quickly' there is a system in place where the camp manager here can go to the airport and get a 'get out quick' visa in 1 day.
Seems odd that someone who likes 'facts' so much did not want to provide the full answer. One controller had a relative very ill... he did not manage to get out in one day. Two? Noooo,

Want to rework this one?

Is there internet? how good is it, speed & reliability?

Yes...broadband wireless, its okay most of the time, can be a bit slow if everyone is downloading at the same time. I use it all the time to call home etc and never a problem
This has not been everyone's experience. Some here have complained about the lack of both reliability and bandwidth here. Serco has gone to some lengths to improve the internet (already a warning sign IMO) and it seems to have worked. But I have heard many complaints of skype calls being so bad/dropped that the callers have given up. And not just by controllers, by management and outsiders here at camp also.

What the f are you asking here???? Your english is very bad.
Seems like anyone who does not think BGD is issue free will feel the wrath of Kiwi on the forum

For someone who would like a few more facts. The 14 day certification time has not been 'dropped' it is just disregarded at the whims of 'whomever'. There have been blokes let go. If Kiwi wants to argue this, ask Serco to put it in writing and you will soon see the error of his thinking.

Just a few weeks ago, two controllers were sitting around the camp hours before their planes were to leave without a visa/passport. Ask them how they think the visa program appears.

All in all, I am staying for another 6 months to finish out the year, but not everyone is. This place has a frustration level that will overwhelm some, grind on others, and never seem to affect others. Like many of these appointments I assume.

ME