PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 20:30
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOAC
OK - the answer is that we are in uncharted aerodynamic territory and thus don't know, and subjectivity rules.
I agree on uncharted aerodynamic territory (for an A330).
On the subjectivity:
- many of the people putting forward that the stall was unrecoverable may have an agenda (i.e. "defending" the pilots, cf AF unions)
- many of the people putting forward that the stall was recoverable may have an agenda (i.e. "defending" the plane)

Known facts :
- some planes (particularly T-tail designs) may encounter a "deep" stall; as the definition of a "deep stall" isn't the same for everybody, let's describe it as a stall-in-which-you-cannot-unstall-the-aircraft-by-pushing-on-your-pitch-control-because-your-elevators-don't-have-any-authority-anymore.
- it is not proven (and, in my opinion, it is unlikely) that the A330 is prone to this kind of stall.
- sims tests cannot be representative (why? because uncharted aerodynamic territory = sim emulates, not simulates accurately)
- AF447 proved that pushing the stick and/or reducing thrust => less AoA, even on a stalled A330, cf FDR traces; it did not prove that the stall was (or wasn't) recoverable, because no sustained attempt was made.

Originally Posted by BOAC
Even given that, I cannot understand Dani's "When the captain came to the cockpit, it was already impossible, aerodynamically and CRM-wise." since the a/c was above 35k - over 3 mins from impact..
+1