PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SERCO Baghdad
Thread: SERCO Baghdad
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 15:26
baghdadkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly is the ICAA looking at in one's application?

Who knows.....its a complete mystery to all of us

What will happpen when the US troops withdrawal? Has Serco addressed that?

Yes they have....no one knows regards how the country will react

Does the US provide security at the airport?

No they don't - its a private company called G4S...the checkpoints we go through are Iraqi employed

Will Camp Victory closed after the withdrawal?

Not sure at this stage

Is there internet? how good is it, speed & reliability?

Yes...broadband wireless, its okay most of the time, can be a bit slow if everyone is downloading at the same time. I use it all the time to call home etc and never a problem

What type of phone do most use? Do phone data plans work, specifically Blackberrys or iPhones?

I use a Iphone Viber programe which means I can call home any time for free from both my abode or work. Skype is the same. Also have an Iraqi cellphone and number for emergencies so I can always be contactable. Works fine.

I've been told that rush trips out of Iraq can take a few days for a visa. Is that the visa "problem" you mentioned?

Visa requires giving up your passport for a few days while it goes into town to get 'stamped'. None of us like this but this is how it happens. If you need to get out 'quickly' there is a system in place where the camp manager here can go to the airport and get a 'get out quick' visa in 1 day.

What airline is best for travel?

Numerous airlines fly into baghdaddy....depends where you want to go to and all reputable airlines. I just paid for Emirates tickets for Jan vacation out of here, also you can fly Turkish, Jordanian, Iraqi, Global Jet, Etihad, Iranair, and a bunch of others that allude me now. As to the best.....well depends which side of the world your flying out too....eg most of the americans use Turkish to fly westbound to the states, same with the guys from european countries. I go the other way (thru Dubai). There is no problem getting out of here.

How is the coffee?[/QUOTE]

Pretty good.......

Last edited by baghdadkiwi; 25th Oct 2011 at 05:24.