PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Independence
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 15:00
Capetonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I understood what this 'independence' is about. I also wonder if some of the people who talk about it know what it is and what they want. Is it full independence, which means they would have to opt out of the EU as well? It seems to me a very nebulous and ill-defined concept.

Within the UK, Scotland already has its own Assembly (Parliament?) and some degree of autonomy as do Wales to a lesser extent and Northern Ireland. We keep hearing about Catalunya, Quebec, the Basque country, just to name a few wanting 'Independence'.

I lived in a country which unilaterally declared independence from the British Crown because it was not prepared to submit to rule from Westminster, 5000 miles away. We could have survived as we had rich resources and a proper government, but political and military interference from the rest of the world brought down the regime.

Will Scotland be allowed to declare that sort of independence, or do they just want to have passports that say 'Scotland' on the front instead of 'United Kingdom'. How far does 'independence' go?