PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO early retirement..have you taken it? How was it for you?
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 02:27
konstantin

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My case and attitude is very similar - right age, birthdate, scheme, employer, etc, it all came together very nicely. Seems to be a few categories of people who choose to hang about;

- Some people stay in for the income, slaves to their disposable - mortgage, a younger family perhaps - personal imperative circumstances, fair `nuff.

- The affluent retiree aspirant - "ooh, I couldn`t possibly retire on less than [insert obscene amount of annual income here for sitting on one`s bottom]" - strokes for folks. A lifestyle trade-off choice. Possibly work till you drop then. Go for it...

- Others innately have an ongoing interest in their job and location, whether operationally or in a support role eg instructing - if one is happy with such a paid hobby arrangement - enjoy, if it floats your boat...no sarcasm, I mean it genuinely.

- Have heard of some people significantly older than I being quoted as saying - "naah, won`t leave yet, don`t know what I`d do with my time" - riiiight.....

I`d had enough of the shiftwork, the evolving corporate and industrial direction, had a chance to bail - no agonising over the decision and certainly no regrets since. And I sure as hell don`t wake up in the morning scratching my head muttering "Hmm, what am I gonna do today?"

Given a few (preferably less-than-expensive!) pastimes, a debt free situation, preferred lifestyle end-state location, a presentable package/pension - it`s not too far off winning the lottery by the standards of many people "out there"!

As a good friend has said over many years in relation to life choices and decisions, and I stress without introducing any suggestion of rampant hedonism - "You`re dead a long time".

No gloating BTW, just a very large grateful sigh - left behind a lot of good people who won`t be able to avail themselves of the option I had. Lost count of the "you lucky bastard!" quips whilst shaking hands around the room on the last day, that was probably the worst part of walking out the door for the final time...