PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Redundancy Survey
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2011, 21:42
racedo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The issue with redundancy and its not just prevalent to RAF is that for those who leave there is an number of stages that need to be gone through.

A psychologist I knew started a business dealing conflict management before branching out into this for companies.

He defined it that those made redundant need to go through stages like a death of someone very close........thought it strange but what he said made sense eventually.

Psychologically your mind and body need to go through stages similar to stages of mourning irrespective of whether you are leaving voluntarily or involuntarily, you are saying good bye to a big element of your life and your body needs time to adjust. Some end up using alcohol / drugs etc as a method of coping.

I questioned how redundancy either way was like that he said anybody who thinks that the death of a loved one is always mourned is nieve.

His viewpoint if that was the case then why are most murders carried out by a loved one. Also why with some people after a death of a loved one do people end up living a completely different lifestyle from before, almost as if now having an opportunity denied previously.

His viewpoint was it can depend on the person BUT those with a good family and support network can manage better sometimes.

Mindful of the fact that some people are desperate to leave, the viewpoint again was that even when getting what you want, you need to stop and give yourself time to adjust as potentially it could be like a PTSD that hits you a lot later.

I guess the RAF need to be mindful that when someone leaves there is a need for follow up with support (if needed).

Also a need to be proactive with this as some people will cope without assistance but others will need some at different times and having that follow up can help.

Apols as has been a bit long winded.