PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlantic Airlines (aka West Atlantic) B737-300 (G-JMCL)
Old 22nd Oct 2011, 15:37
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also like to compliment Uk019 on his constructive and informative post.
I have great sympathy with SHOCKWAVE as it took 2 years and 4 months to get my first paid flying job. I was not alone as Air Europe had gone bust and flooded the market with TRed 73 pilots.

On PPRUNE, you only seem to hear from people like SHOCKWAVE applying for jet jobs. Do you ever try the TurboProp or Business or GA guys. You gotta start at the bottom and anything is better than dole.

As regards SSTR, probably a busted flush now as everyone does it. My impression from our head of training is that they don't like them. Quality control is lacking. That said I SS a Shed rating and it led to a job offer while I was on holiday, which I couldn't take, so the phone never rang again. Never say no I can't start this week!

Finally, and in great support of SHOCKWAVES can-do attitude. I heard about a job from a Captain at LHR, while I was doing Load Control to pay the bills, I jumped on a plane the next day, CV in Hand, banged on their door, got to see the fleet manager and landed a great job. Right place, right time Plus Luck.
GL, you're get something in the end. 15 years down the line, when you are doing back to back night Dalamans, try to remember how hard it was to get that break, it'll keep your spirits up.