PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2011, 10:36
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mr Optimistic
AoA meters ? But isn't the opinion that just holding pitch and power would have been sufficient to avoid the stall ?
It is or it should, but as it is obvious it did not work out well in this case and the question remains why? What is necessary, that the simple application of a procedure "pitch and power" works out as desired?

- recognize the event UAS
- be in a steady state of flight when UAS occurs
- recall the correct procedure for UAS
- apply the procedure UAS in a correct way
- monitor the outcome of the procedure
- recognize the point when speeds are valid again
- go back to normal

Imho with a AOA gauge it gets a lot simpler, as soon as something looks wrong with the performance (speed, pitch, power) the AOA value becomes the primary performance value. Keep it in the desired range by increasing or decreasing pitch, bank, loadfactor, speed, power, altitude. Use whatever means are necessary and applicable to the situation to maintain this value and you are on the safe side.

Using the AOA value is using a dynamic value with lot of options instead of limiting the options to two parameters, namly pitch and power without possibility to verify the correct application (with the doubt of overspeeding or getting too slow).

Using the AOA value there is no necessity to start out with a stable situation (straight and level unaccelerated flight), the usage can start in any flight situation.

That does not only apply for UAS, but also for other situations (engine out comes to my mind) where performance gets critical.

Mr Optimistic
Well, I am SLf. I keep posting the same thing about stall and AoA every 3 months or so. Can't we move on or remain silent in the absence of new information ?
Sorry, i´m having a hard time to understand that one in context with with your previous post. It is true, we are in a hamster wheel of questions surfacing again and again, but it also makes no sense to let wrong statements or wrong assumptions unanswered.

You yourself as a paying customer in aircraft (i find the term SLF neither appropriate nor respectful) obviously cannot understand the difference it will make for an aircrew in the pre-STALL timeframe, where an AOA gauge can give already detailed information about the performance state of the airframe and hence can prevent the triggering of the stall warning beforehand.

There are some pilots out there who had an AOA gauge available like myself in the military and who know how easy to use and how helpful it can be. Others never saw one and never used one (except some glider expierienced pilots, the tread on the side of the canopy is nothing else then an AOA indicator in the purest form), but will have no problem at all to understand its function and implement it in the crosscheck.

But now i go "silent" to lurking and reading like i did the past 5 weeks (as there was no new information) and thus following your suggestion.

franzl