PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAA confirms it will sell Edinburgh!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2011, 08:46
ScotsSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents, the argument about fairness is pointless because fairness doesn't enter into it. I mean, is it fair, that despite living 2 minutes from an international airport with a 9800ft runway (PIK) I have to travel to GLA 2-3 X a week (and on occasion to EDI) to fly around the UK and Europe? No, iit is not but its about business and business whether we like it or not will dictate where we can fly from and to. Were damn lucky to have three airports in an 80 mile corridor west to east.

Next year we will potentially have 3 competing airports with 3 different owners (or will we?) and this has to be good for competition and hopefully will result in more services, choice and lower fares for people in central Scotland. At the moment there is no competition on some routes (BA GLA - LHR and BE GLA - BHX are just two) and prices have rocketed on these very popular routes. I know because I have to pay for them!

The most dynamic. entrepreunerial and effective airport management teams will win at the end of the day provided they are backed up by their owners. Interesting times ahead for GLA, PIK and EDI. Hopefully they'll be no casualties.