PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2011, 03:21
boxerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SQ Vs CX

As correctly pointed out, it is in fact true with the situation in SQ. To say the least, I would not be looking in here if SQ provided a fantastic package. In fact, over the years, the expat community has been dwindled to almost negligible with foreigners taking local terms to remain in the company.

SQ has since started major recruitment from India for cadets and that is the sign to come. As a comparison, A wide body Captain in SQ makes less than an SFO, not counting in bonuses and different tax rates. Cost of living is also high in Singapore and it definitely is a much much smaller place to live in. Just for a comparison, you will require to buy a Certificate of Entitlement just to own a car above 1600cc. At current rate, its approximately 60K USD without even the car price yet!

Not to go about a major comparison between the two, but I think even in Asia, major airlines are losing out to pay packages to LCC and Budget operations like TigerAirways and Jetstarasia in terms of pay packages. Command comes quicker because guys I know are flying 90-100hrs a month and have to be throttled back to not bust the 1000hr/yr restrictions in Singapore.

By all standards, the industry practice of paying great expat rates looks archaic and would definitely be revised as it is evident. I would definitely look at it in a long term perspective to join a company that you see yourself in for at least 20yrs and there is really no gripes with being rewarded only after 12-15yrs when loyalty is not is question. A trait so often missing these days.