PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 takeoff vibration
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2011, 00:37
Cybersquatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A380 takeoff vibration

Hi everybody

I've dipped in and out of PPRuNe as a reader on and off for a year or two, so here I am with my maiden post I just wanted to solicit the experts' opinion on something that I've been pondering.

I've done a LOT of domestic/short haul flights (weekly for several years), so there's not much that scares me when it comes to routine turbulence/takeoff/landing issues - but when on an Emirates A380 taking off from Hong Kong last month, I really did get a bit worried.

It's hard to describe, but as the aircraft approached the takeoff roll, or possibly when it was mid-roll, the aircraft started doing what I can only describe as groaning and vibrating in a very serious way. The vibrating and groaning seemed to continue until approximately lift-off time. The cabin crew didn't look overly concerned, but I suppose they're trained not to

I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on what it might be - I'm still in one piece, so I'm not worried - just curious. My amateur's guess was that the tail had struck the ground, but reading around suggests that would have caused the aircraft to turn around and perform an emergency landing at Hong Kong.

Any experts able to offer their insights? Sorry for not using all the right codes and jargon, but I'm just a layman