PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eye injuries - a cautionary tale
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2011, 20:37
gingernut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch

I once lost my front teeth surfing at Watergate Bay. Had to go to see an emergency dentist at the time-outside my usual comfort zone of the guy who known me for many years and ponces about whilst tapping my sensitive molars.

I remember having my head held inbetween her rather large chest, as she was pulling shards of teeth from my front gum with a pair of plyers. (Is it right to experience pain and pleasure at the same time?)

All credit where it's due, she did a fantastic job, even down to matching the coffee stains on the enamel.

She made me promise that I would wear a gumshield whilst surfing in future, a promise that I kept for at least 3 years.

Occurred to me, after a big Fistral wipeout, that actually the gumshield could cause more harm than good (a lasting memory of the RNLI lifeguard thinking that he could make the front page of The Newquay Voice by performing a "Penknife" Emergency Tracheostomy on a stoopid tourist with a gumshield and some seaweed stuck in his trachea ) made me reliquish my promise.

Guess there's some fulcrum on the risk/balance that we all have to discover. I know one thing, sitting on the couch is watching Friday night TV is probably riskier in the long run.

Hope you're doing ok B&T's.